kumho 712's and snow

David Pertuz davidpertuz@mindspring.com
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:57:40 -0500

>performance tire. At first I thought "well I need an all-season tire
>since we get snow", but then I asked myself just how often do I find
>myself driving *in or on* actual snow. 99% of the time it's just really
>wet... I would say, figure out how they do in the wet weather if you
>don't get much snow.

If you do get a regular, reasonable amount of snow every winter, and if you
can afford to buy another set of tires on some steelies or some other cheap
wheels, it is *really* nice to have snow tires for the winter. I live in
Detroit, which does not get buckets of snow (the last winter, anyway, was
very mild) but if there's more than inch or two on the road it's awfully
nice, and if there's more it's wonderful. If your all-season tires have
less than about half tread depth on them they will suck massively in snow
no matter what they are. I got my snows because in December 2000, when we
got lots of snow, I couldn't move more than about a foot at a time out of
my unplowed alley without getting stuck and shovel, push, etc., get stuck
again, repeat. *If* you can budget the money for it, it is very worth doing.

david