5th gear snap ring (Not popout problem)

Thomas Reynolds fthomasr@bellsouth.net
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 08:22:22 -0500

Jay wrote:
> Don't ask for help, then complain when you don't get the answer that you
> wanted to hear.

Complain? Where do you see me complaining here? You must be mistaking a
complaint with my defense of you calling me an idiot... Asking for help was
not an open invitation to CRITICISM.

>Those gears were riding against each other putting pressure
>on the case, spinning at several thousand RPM without being held in
> properly. Take it apart and look, not sure why you haven't yet.

Ok, thanks for your reasoning finally.

> That's an easy one. How many transmissions has Nissan sold with a clip
> like that? 100,000? More? (Hint, all recent Nissan manual trannies have
> a clip like that.) How many come apart by themselves? I have only seen
> that happen twice, ever.

You completely avoided answering why the actual process of cryo treating the
snap ring would lessen the chance of failure again. Also, it has happened to
at least three people including me. Maybe we got a bad batch of clips? Maybe
it wasn't seated in the groove at the factory 100% thereby working for some
time but breaking later?

Jay please put the flame gun down. I appreciate your help dude, really.

Thomas
'97 200SX SE-R
F-Max Stage II Turbo
Albany, GA