The mailing list, JGY's thinking on it

Jason Garrett Young jasongyoung@jacomanufacturing.com
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 17:53:32 -0500

 However, this mailing list is no longer
> living up to its 'mission statement,' if you will. The SE-R list as
> we knew it died a while ago, and I don't see it coming back. Do any of
> you, really?

1. I agree with you that it probably never will be back to the way it used
to be back in '96.  But at the same time, I am not the kind of person that
dreads a change and when it does happen, seemingly get somewhat meloncolly
about it and want to just throw my hands up.
2. Change the mission statement.  I mean, it is just a list.  If you want to
think of it in a way that is is something more, something special like a
corporation,........well, all sucessful ones I feel would simply change
their mission statement, rather than go under.

Time moves on. I am perfectly happy to continue a mailing
> list for current subscribers. I simply will not continue to call it
> the SE-R mailing list, and I will not advertise/promote/whatever it
> as that.

3.  I think that is fair.  Heck, you are the one doing the work.  All I do
is sort of take up your time.  I guess, it just seemed the reasons for the
demise might seem to be hard for some to comprehend.  I won't be bothered by
your decision, only possibly not understand your reasons

It can be a technical list, an old-farts list, whatever. But
> the SE-R list of old, as the center of the community, it is no longer,
> it died, and I don't want anybody subscribing to this list with any
> expectations of it being that.

4.??? why?    if enough people do, then it might become the new hub of info

5.  Honestly, the reason that there is more banter and info on the
forums.....it's easier to get on them.  No question about it.  It's harder
to get on this list, than it is to follow the instructions to get on most
forums.  Maybe it's an accidental idiot filter.  In a way, it forces you to
become a *member*.  Anyone can simply go to a *page* and read.  Also,
believe it or not, some people don't have email.