Lightweight flywheels on turbo cars

Raymond A. Kawski sr20de@epix.net
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 22:13:31 -0500

Hammer Down wrote:

> as the N/A cars.  Their reason was that with the added inertia,
 when you got off the throttle and dissengaged the clutch, the
 engine would maintain a high rate of rotation, also continuing to
 pump a large amount of air through the turbine.  Thus when you got
 back on the throttle (clutch re-engaged), lag time to full boost
> was greatly reduced.  I do not know if

However with the lightened flywheel after releasing the clutch
pedal it would as quickly if not even more quickly spin back up
to speed. So I'm not sure thats a good argument.  Plus their is
also the added benefit of having a lighter sledghammer
(lightened flywheel and clutch/pp) hitting the transmission
then the heavy sledhammer of stock flywheel and clutch/pp after
re-engaging the clutch.

RK
--
Ray Kawski
1998 Sentra SE Turbo, 1991 NX 2000, 340K mile 1991 Sentra SE-R