Weird-ass Drag Racing Questions

cowboydren@b15sentra.net cowboydren@b15sentra.net
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 00:18:42 -0500

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 08:13:01PM -0500, Wayne Cox wrote:

> Do you have an SR20, or the 2.5 engine?

Check the sig. ;)  QR25s didn't hit the streets until the '02 model
year.

> Back when, me & Pat Griffith were the reigning champs of launches.

I know exactly who you are, Wayne.  Weren't you the first to break into
the 14s?  Pat's "SE-R Drag Racing Tips" and Manny Gonzalez' "Front Wheel
Drive Launching Tips" are still on the main site.  Those are two of my
favorite articles to pour over. :)

> Under 2.2 60 footers on N.A. motors and street tires.  Plus, Pat cut
> RTs that would make John Force envious!

Ugh.  Yet another thing to retrain myself on.  Green means go, unless
there are three ambers before it, in which case, you go on...

> * Drop front tire pressure to 25 psi

Got it.  I'm thinking about going to test this somewhere this week to
get it dialed in to the precise PSI that puts the most rubber on the
ground.

> * Drive around water box

Great idea, except that it isn't really possible at KCIR. ~:(

> * Hold about 2800 - 3000 rpm

AAACK!

> * Release the clutch quickly, but not abruptly (maybe around a 1.5 second
> event) and at the same time give it enough gas to keep the tires just
> barely spinning (easier said that done.)

Easier said than done is right.  B15s are way more tail-heavy (not to
mention heavier in general), and I'm not confident at all that a 3000
RPM launch would do anything other than vaporize the Firehawks.  1.5
seconds to release the clutch?  My quickest *feeling* (uh, that's also
highly unscientific) launches happen when I take no longer than about .5
.75 seconds to feather the clutch out.

To KCIR's credit, it's never busy, and one can easily get as many runs
in as one would like.  Easily 12 runs in 3 hours if you don't get right
back in line after a run.  Guess I'll have some time on my hands to try
your suggestions. :)

--
-=|JP|=-        "It's like a koala crapped a rainbow in my brain..."

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://members.cardomain.com/cowboydren/   |  <//><
'95 SL2 Auto   |         cowboydren @ b15sentra . net         |