Weird-ass Drag Racing Questions

Wayne Cox wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 20:13:01 -0500

At 07:18 PM 9/30/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Taking the advice in the articles, I've started trying to find the ideal
>launch RPM for my engine, gearing, and tires.  Anything below 2000 RPM
>seems to bog too quickly (I'm a little quick releasing the clutch), and
>anything over 2500 RPM makes the tires howl and squall like a wounded

Do you have an SR20, or the 2.5 engine?  Back when, me & Pat Griffith were
the reigning champs of launches.  Under 2.2 60 footers on N.A. motors and
street tires.  Plus, Pat cut RTs that would make John Force envious!

I think our tips are no longer on SE-R.net.  But IIRC we were  pretty
similar in technique:
* Drop front tire pressure to 25 psi
* Drive around water box
* Do a little tire spin to clean the crap off
* Hold about 2800 - 3000 rpm
* Release the clutch quickly, but not abruptly (maybe around a 1.5 second
event) and at the same time give it enough gas to keep the tires just
barely spinning (easier said that done.)

I think my best was around 2.08 short time, and 14.75 @ 93 with that.

Car is crunched up now, and I am officially parting it out now.  Write me
if ya' want anything.

    -Wayne    '91 NX2k - '93 NK2k - '92 SE-R (parts car?)