OT: Windows XP Security Hole

Kevin J. Hart bowlcut@comcast.net
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 23:23:22 -0500

Yea I know way off topic and not suprising.  But I figure its big enough
that some people would like to know and some would never even know about
till its too late.

Quote from
http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/shownotes/story/0,24330,3398516,00.html

As mentioned earlier in the show, Microsoft released a service pack for
Windows XP. It fixes a serious security hole that Microsoft has known about
for more than 11 weeks.
The security hole involves Windows XP help. The hole lets anyone put a link
on a website that can wipe out certain hard-drive directories.
If, for whatever reason, you don't or can't download the service pack, there
is an alternative. There's a file you can rename or delete to fix the
security hole. Here are the steps:
Perform a search for a file on your C drive called "uplddrvinfo.htm."
Once you've found the file, delete it or rename it. Doing so will not hinder
your ability to use Windows XP.
For more information about the security hole, visit Gibson Research.

Me:
To read more also go to
http://grc.com/default.htm

So if you can go get sp1 go do it,  I installed it sunday :) so me=covered

Kevin