READ THIS

? ?" <grailer@yifan.net
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:00:53 -0500

Larry,

I for one will be saddened by the loss of the list and understand, better than
most, the effort required to evolve it to the point where it remains active &
relevant. Without this effort, the list may indeed suffer entropic decline.

Like you, I'm not interested in web forums and my SE-R community activity would
dwindle dramatically without the mailing list. I simply prefer to have my
information delivered to me rather than going out to retrieve it (whatever
happend to agents?). Movement towards such forums does seem to be an inexorable
force for a variety of reasons - reasons you know as well as I do.

I had thought to post a long missive about change, evolution & competition, and
all the reasons I could see for it, but in composing it I realized that
maintaining the list is a personal decision. I wish you the best in deciding on
the right course for you. I'm grateful you've admin'ed and hosted it this far.
The list is better because of your involvement.

Whatever the outcome, I support your decision. You've a hard choice in front of
you and (IMHO) are making the right call - if something's not worth doing, it's
worth not doing well.

Carson M. Hanrahan                        '91 Classic w/the usual stuff
"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go
into a corner fast and come out dead" - Stirling Moss