autox advice

Brian Cembor bcembor@fastenal.com
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 09:58:13 -0500

Now that the autox season is drawing to a close I am looking towards next
season and planning changes for then. I am trying to decide whether to stay
in G Stock or move over to STS. Hopefully those LMs who autox can give me
advice.
As I see it there are benefits and drawbacks to each class.

In GS I can keep the car the way it is and not spend "as much" on it. The
biggest drawback being it is hard to find 185/195 race rubber. Either way I
am getting Falken Azenis for the car. Staying stock in the ATL region is
good in that we only have, on average, 8-9 drivers consistently. However,
two of them could go pro if they wanted and both drive '00-'01 Celicas and
beat the field on average by 1-1.5s. they also run r-compound...so...

STS - spend approximately $2000 to upgrade the car and make it competitive.
I.e. - KYB AGXs, rims and tires, CAI, SS lines, sway bars, springs, bushings
(doing anyway as car needs it), STBs, rotors and pads and not sure what
else. Also, in STS here, there is like 20 drivers, the top ones being within
.5s of each other on a regular basis.

I guess what I am asking the list is what is your opinion? If you had to do
it all over again or could change some things... what would you do?
TIA
Brian M. Cembor
'92 SE-R
#65GS