A really old fart returns

Mark Holden mnse-r@vectorworld.com
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 23:45:19 -0500

> It only has about 52,000 miles on it, but the clutch is almost gone. Going
> to need one REALLY soon. Stock ?

JWT pressure plate, stock disc and TO bearing.  You'll want to replace
the old cable too.  You might have to shim the cable with some washers
or find a way to shorten it to get the clutch to take up where you want,
but it's worth it.  Lighter pedal pressure than stock, but holds much
better.  Retaining the stock disc insures a nice smooth engagement.
Don't let anyone talk you into changing the pilot bearing, it is not a
wear item in a SR20.  Changing the rear main seal is simple once you've
pulled the flywheel to have it resurfaced.

OTOH, I though my clutch was gone at 55k or so.  I didn't get to
it until 93K, and it was still working, just slipping a bit under
heavy load because I had glazed it.

> BUT - I have a much more pressing problem. I  failed my CA smog test a few
> weeks ago. Only one component, the unburnt hydrocarbons, were a
> little high
> - by about 20 %.

Not to sound like Geo :), but check the archives.  There has been extensive
discussion on things to do to to solve failing emissions.

-Mark Holden
'93 SE-R
'02 WRX