Tools

Mark Holden mnse-r@vectorworld.com
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 19:56:11 -0500

> Anyway, back to the subject. I believe I'll side with
> George and a few others, here. But, I'm also going to
> follow Eric's advice: a cordless impact wrench for the
> occasional use of heavier torque needs... like the holster
> idea, too.

While I agree that cordless impact wrenches are quite cool,
unless you have the need (like Eric does) to change tires
in the absolute minimum time in the middle of the worst
conditions, I'd save the cash and get a corded model with
higher torque and no battery to run down.  There are suspension
parts that I'm quite sure would drain the battery on such a
beast long before they broke free (I'm specifically thinking
of some of the stuff on the front control arms, I think I let
the electric hammer away for 5+ minutes before those moved).

The Snap-On 12V 1/2" appears to go for about $370 new.  That
gets you 130 ft lbs of tightening force.  Run time at high
loads with only a 12V battery would seem to me to be an
issue.

The DeWalt/Craftsman 120V 1/2" goes for about $170 new,
240 ft. lbs, and it'll run as long as you pay the electric
bill.

Of course, if you gotta go cordless, there's always:
http://www.makita.com/Cordless_Item_View.asp?id=48
24V 1/2" Makita, 147 ft lbs and I'd bet a longer runtime.
I think this is the one I've seen in Tommi Makinen's
hands all too often during this year's WRC.  Cheap at
$550:)

-Mark Holden
'93 SE-R
'02 WRX