Tools

Eric Seppanen eds@reric.net
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:37:28 -0500

> > Air tools are really nice to have, but you know what? You
> > can get by fine without them. There are very few things

> I have yet to find a bolt on my 97K Minnesota-winter driven
> B13 that can't be removed with a simple electric impact
> wrench.  And that includes every last bolt on the suspension.
> I'd like to own a complete set of air tools and a nice big
> compressor, but in fact, I really don't need them.

If you really want to look like a stud, go and find yourself a Snap-On
cordless electric impact wrench.  I picked one up used (they're a little
pricey new) and I now use it for everything.  You might not believe that a
cordless impact wrench has the juice to break bolts loose, but it's
downright impressive.  I hardly ever bother with the air-powered one any
more.

I can't believe how great it is not having to turn on the air compressor
or drag hoses or cords around.  Changing the tires at a rally is now a
piece of cake because I can just pull out the cordless impact and zip,
zip, zip... wrenching on lugnuts gets really old after about the hundredth
time.  Not to mention how much it sucks in the winter.

I even bought a cordless drill holster and screwed it to the floor of my
trunk, so I can carry one with me in the car.  The next time I have a
flat on stage I'll be able to raise and lower the jack and do the lugnuts
with it.  60-second solo tire changes, here we come!

Eric
http://www.sisuracing.com/