Power Loss!! HELP!!!

Brian Cembor bcembor@fastenal.com
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 11:43:45 -0500

Read the original post - It was Torry's qr25, not a sr20 that you mentioned:
brian

Ok, my car is seriously messed up.  I just dyno'd it and have a serious
power loss.  I made 143.4 HP and 155.6 lb-ft stock.  Then, with intake and
exhaust, I put down 148.2 HP and 158.1 lb-ft.  Now, I have intake, exhaust,
header, and removed balance shafts, and I only put down 145.9 HP and 154.9
lb-ft.  I LOST power all over.  BIG loss in torque under the curve.
So I need thoughts on what could be wrong.  The dyno operator thought that
it was possible that with a bigger flow of air now, that I could be leaning
out.  However, I would think the ECU would compensate within the flow rate
of the injectors, so that should be fine.  We checked the compression too,
in fear of a motor going, being a QR, but compression was 190 psi across the
board.
Here is our best theory:
The car has had a problem since about March or so where it doesn't like to
start.  It will crank and crank and crank, then finally start after about
7-8 cranks.  I have been lazy and haven't botherd taking it to the dealer to
get it fixed.  Well, my friend came up with the theory that the FPR is going
bad.  Where it is holding less and less pressure, so the fuel system is not
primed (the starting is getting worse and worse).  He said it's possible
that it is now loosing pressure under throttle as well, and starting to lean
out all over.  This could cause the huge power loss of HP and torque.  This
seems very reasonable to me, but I was wondering if it made sense to anybody
else.  Does the FPR on a QR25 work this way?
I can either A) take the car to the dealer and complain of it taking
forever to start or B) dyno my car again using a wideband and see if
it's leaning out up top
The dealer would be cheaper, but I don't know if they would do it under
warrenty considering my mods.  What do you guys think?  Or is there any
other possibility of why it lost so much power??  And help is MUCH
appreciated.