Oh Joy... More car troubles (clutch)

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:30:35 -0500

Raymond A. Kawski <sr20de@epix.net> wrote:

>Wrong!!!!!  Jamie Farrer is using the JWT Twin Disc setup.  ACT
>has to high a shock value.  If you like your transmission I
>wouldn't bother.  Ask Daryl Gregg he broke 2 trannies with only
>140ish whp.

You know, I've driven cars with the ACT clutch kit and of course I've had
two JWT clutch kits.  I think some people think the ACT has more holding
power because it's very grabby, or at least the ones I've driven have been.
The JWT clutch is far less harsh.  That doesn't mean it won't hold as much
power.  I'm sure it's much easier to "chirp" the tires with the ACT clutch,
but that means absolutely nothing.  In fact, as Ray has inferred, it can be
very harsh on your drivetrain.

So what's my point?  Simple....   Don't be sucked in by the engagement of
the ACT into thinking it can hold more hp.  Also, if you have a spouse or
SO that drives your car as well, the JWT clutch will be easier for them to
drive.  My wife drives our lightly massaged DET equipped G20 with a JWT
aluminum flywheel and JWT clutch and has absolutely no troubles driving it.
I doubt I could say the same for an ACT.

They are both good packages and their street set-ups are pretty equivelent
in holding power.

George Roffe