Egr Fubar

Tim Rogers timrogers@charter.net
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 00:04:07 -0500

 hlava wrote:

> Haven't finished cleaning it out yet. I've tried  everything that's
> been written and/or suggested... except one, and I'm saving that as a last
> resort. I dropped a bolt, from on top of where the bpt tube ducks into the
> manifold and connects to the EGR tube, into my engine bay. Had to
> order the part from the dealership.

Mark, now that you have that bolt out, you can try to get at the blockage
with an angled dental pick, bent piece of (sharpened?) paper clip, bent
straight pin, or whatever you can shove into that small space.
The blockage that is causing your trouble is right where the BPT tube joins
the EGR pipe.  The hole there is literally a pinhole and is very easy to
clog.

> My next attempt at cleaning the tube will involve shoving a piece of wire
> hanger down there. I figure it's stiffer than any 10 gauge wire.
> If none of
> this works, I'm thinking of taking the whole thing out and capping it.

The hole is smaller than the coat hanger, so that will probably not be your
best bet.
If you get to the point of taking the EGR pipe off, you can drill out the
hole a little bit (just  a little bit, don't make it any wider than double
the original size.)
This is what I did, and the hole has only gotten clogged again one time, and
then it was easier to clean out.

Tim Rogers
2 NXen