Egr Fubar

hlava lhlvava@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 23:41:05 -0500

Hi Steve. Haven't finished cleaning it out yet. I've tried everything that's
been written and/or suggested... except one, and I'm saving that as a last
resort. I dropped a bolt, from on top of where the bpt tube ducks into the
manifold and connects to the EGR tube, into my engine bay. Had to order the
part from the dealership. Car is now making a funny putt putt sound when I
drive. Oh well, live and learn.

My next attempt at cleaning the tube will involve shoving a piece of wire
hanger down there. I figure it's stiffer than any 10 gauge wire. If none of
this works, I'm thinking of taking the whole thing out and capping it. As
far as cleaning the EGR, there's 3 bolts to undo... none of my ratchets or
open end wrenches will touch them. I found some information in the archives
about a different shaped vise grip that they had purchased at Wal-Mart. I'm
going to try and pick one up tomorrow and see if that works.

I have a whole list of things that I want to get done on the car in the next
3 months... regrounding the MAF(if necessary) is next on the list. Then a
new clutch cable, clean the throttle body, replace the ball joints and
bushings, change out coolant and use Redline water wetter, get a better
radiator cap, and then find out where the small leak in my trunk is coming
from... I suspect the tail light area.

I replaced the front(passenger) and back(driver side) mounts with OEM parts.
I used ES inserts on the 2 torque mounts. They were all pretty easy to do
except for the fire wall mount... that takes 2 people and is a bitch. Oh
yeah, replaced my shifter bushings with ES bushings. The mounts made a HUGE
difference in the car. No more engine "slop" when braking or accelerating.
And despite some people complaining about the extra vibration... it's not
bad at all, I don't even notice it anymore. Better for our transmissions,
too.

Sorry about the extra long reply,

Mark
91 SE-R, "Because the Price was Right and the Mileage was Damn Low(55k)...
Manly Man Driver... I don't need no stinkin cruise control"