Cross country trip and Fuel pump woes. -- long

Omer Farooq Khan ohmfab@comcast.net
Sat, 6 Jul 2002 23:31:34 -0500

Hello all,

A friend of mine and I departed from Chattanooga, TN a few weeks ago and headed
for Vegas, LA, and the Grand Canyon in my '92 B13 SE-R.  I have taken many long
drives up to 15 hours or so before in the SE-R but nothing like this 2000 mile
excursion.  This car may be a compact but still managed to carry all our gear,
including camping supplies.

I am now in LA but the trip here from Vegas was quite eventful.  At about 4000
ft elevation and going up a mountain at 10-15 degree slope made my fuel pump
cut out.  Car just died and I had over a quarter tank left.  Scared the shit
out of me.  I got it started again after a few cusswords and about 20 miles up
stopped at what appeared to be a gas station.  Turned the car off got out and
low and behold there were no nozzles.  They haven't sold gas for a while.  Got
back in the car... wont start.  Eventually a couple nice guys drove to the next
stop for me and brought back 2 gallons of gas which was enough to start the
car.  I know the previous owner changed the pump after the recall but he did it
himself and probably used a cheapo pep boys special.  Grrr.

I dont want to get stuck on my 2500 mile trip back home next week so while I am
in LA I need to put in a fuel pump.  My car is normally aspirated and pretty
much stock so I was planning on going with the Walbro 190lph kit:

(B13 and NX 190 lph use GCA3373-2 (pump = GSS278) - taken from one of Carl H.'s
posts:
http://www.se-r-list.org/archives/2001/2001-04/frm01748.html

If anyone in L.A. can direct me to where I can pick up this kit in town please
let me know.  Would Jim Wolf carry this?

Thanks in advance everyone,

Omer Farooq Khan
'92 White SE-R in L.A. w/ mods and quirky fuel pump.
http://earth.vol.com/~ohm