Clutch Installation and Adjustment

Bill the arcstarter arcstarter@hotmail.com
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 21:39:22 -0500

"Steve Baune" <sbaune@attbi.com> wrote:
>Last week the release lever on the tranny broke, it's a long story but I
>couldn't get a new one so the old one was welded.

This has been done before.  I've welded up a few pre-emtively (is that a
word?) to avoid that particular effect...

>pedal doesn't start to engage until its about 1 1/2 inch off the floor,
>then doesn't come back up.

The 'doesn't come back up' part doesn't sound good.

Normally the spring pressure of the clutch pressure plate causes the lever
to return.

Is the lever rod lubed?  With moly grease?

>My questions are, could the clutch disk be installed backwards? we
>installed it with the thicker side towards the pressure plate. or

Not sure what clutch parts you are running - but I'm pretty sure with a
stock disk and the JWT plate - it is impossible to install the disk
backward.  The hub runs into (?) something or another...

Perhaps it's your pilot bushing. <very big grin since unless you fooled with
it - it's not the problem>

-Bill
'92 Classic w/ no R-12 (R-406A on order)