QR25DE oil consumption

Mike Jez 93SER@attbi.com
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 13:57:40 -0500

I mentioned the VE30, they have big problems with timing chains breaking,
and VTCs for variable valve timing going bad. I know of one list member here
who has blown up 2 VE30s and lives in Northern Cali. Other than that the
engine is pretty good. Maxima never got a VG30DE in US, the Z had a 222HP VG
and GXE Maximas had the VG30E motor with 160HP.  VE was sold from 92 to 94
in US and then canned. The VTC costs about 2-3K bux to fix on this car
including parts and labor for both front and rear VTCs. New VQ35s use VTCs
also I belive.... The VQ30 doesn't have any kinda variable valve timing BS
on it.
Mike Jez
01 Max no variable valve timing
93 SE-R no variable valve timing
00 Altima no varible valve timing.
> Someone mentioned the VE30DE?? not being a good engine; wasn't that the
> 190hp engine in the 92-93 Maxima SE?  If so, my mother bought a 92 Maxima
SE
> demo that had 5000 miles on it from Courtesy Nissan back in November of
92.
> My aunt bought that car from her at 100k miles and it now has 190k miles
on
> it.  It has never used a drop of oil.  Besides routine maintenance and a
new
> variable timing device; that thing has never had any problems.  It drives
> like it was brand new.  Maybe the 92 Maxima SE had the VG30 in it; or was
> that the 222 horsepower engine in the 300ZX?  Maybe I got my engines mixed
> up; I was 17 back then and tried to keep up with Nissans at the time.
But,