MAF reground nightmare RD XII A.K.A. Temporarily slain SE-R.

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 14:47:41 -0500

Okay,

Replaced the harness connector, still get code 12 from the ECU, still
get 10.85V on the ground wire, cut the connector off around 3" from the
MAF, and resoldered, carefully this time, with MAF and battery cables
disconnected - to the 'new' harness connector.

Tested the results, same thing basically - it's (s)not the connector.
Went ahead and reset the ECU again just to make sure, checked codes
again after, still get a 12.

One stupid question, without a reset tool, can a '92 SE-R's ECU be reset
using the check codes, all the way clockwise, all the way counter
clockwise a second time, method?  If not, who sells the reset tool?  I
thought my OBD-I car didn't need the tool, but someone please confirm or
deny.

And of course the question that follows that is, would the ECU ignore
the MAF, like it's not there, in the event of the code being stuck in
the ECU?

Lastly, there was a silverish (non-copper) shielding wire around the
outside of the shield that contains the orange and white wires, the
orange/blue stripe was separate.  Do those shielding strands need to
make contact? They seem like just an RFI shield, but they don't continue
on to the harness connector.

I don't have the tool for harness connectors, to get the pins in and
out, a pick doesn't work apparently, and once bent, you can't reuse
them.  Where can I get the tool, and these pins?  Assuming their the
same on the harness connector at the ECU (so I can pull those couple of
pins, and run new wires).

Even more importantly, is there any way to tell definitively if my ECU
is fried?  Could that be the case at this point?  Does the stealership
have some highly expensive way of diagnosing this?  Should I just bite
the bullet and drop it off, assuming I can just maybe, barely drive
myself there.

I'm uncertain what to do next, can someone shed some light here?

Pete 'SE-R slayuh' Serwe
--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, pick any two.