Control Arm Fubar

Mark Holden mnse-r@vectorworld.com
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 14:01:01 -0500

>Tough parts to
>find!  Ordered via Scottsdale Nissan, but even they had to order it into
>their place.  Friggin' expensive too!  List is around $70.

I was quoted over $100 from a local dealer.  I went back
again when the guy I normally deal with was working and he
quoted me $70 :)  No scrapyard in the state would admit to
having the rear end from any B12-B13 Sentra...
Unless I wanted to buy an entire corner, that is.

>Also got 3 different answers from 4 dealers on the part#.  Courtesy &
>Scottsdale concurred on 55121-50Y10.

That looks right.  I was replacing the same one you are.

>Should have it Fri.  How bad are the bolts on the inboard ends?  I'll be
>spraying it all down daily with penetrant in the mean time.

Not too bad at all.  Just keep in mind that it's a bit tight to
get to them, and so you want to have a few different ratchets/
wrenches to see what works best.  They're nowhere near as bad
as the outboard side.  The rear control arm has a cam bolt that
is used to set the rear toe.  You will want to get the car
aligned when you're done (I'm sure you expected that).

Other things to note.  If you have to disconnect the swaybar,
you might find that the nut on the endlink is fused on (mine
sure was).  New endlinks are relativley cheap :)  Since
you're not going to be removing the entire knuckle, you
probably won't have to.  But it's always possible that you'll
have to pull the whole knuckle to get that outboard bolt out,
so I mention it.

-Mark