Rough running/miss after trans work

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Thu, 30 May 2002 13:52:54 -0500

Dan Mitchell <prograde49@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I recently had the 5th gear synchro in my  91 SER replaced at a local trans
>place.  Car had no drivability problems prior to the work, and driving the
>car home (about 5 miles) everything was fine. When I went to use it that
>night though, it suddenly had a rough, loping idle and general rough running
>with lose of power.

It is most likely one of two things....

1) Vacuum leak.  You said you checked, but I'd check again.  You can also
pinch the PCV hose with pliers and if the idle changes (can't remember if it's
up or down), you definitely have a vacuum leak.

2) Bad ground.  This is less likely since it ran OK before.  But...  I ran
into this with my first engine swap.  Check the grounds at the intake
manifold.  If those were left off it would act really strange and be difficult
to keep running.

George Roffe