SR20DE.net

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Thu, 30 May 2002 07:15:20 -0500

Thomas Reynolds wrote:

>Oh yeah I have been meaning to ask, what is the status of the Beast v2.0?
>It's been far too long Geo. Get those wrenches out, have some geek-outs,
>let's get her back on the road.

>Unless it's a monetary issue... :)

Well....

Beast v2.0 will probably happen someday.  For now all of my car budget is
going to my 944 race car.  You think road cars are money toilets? :-)  I
need to get the cage in soon.  I wanted it in by last weekend, but other
events put it off.  I've got to replace all the engine belts (timing,
balance shafts, accessories), seals, ignition stuff.....  Lots to do.

The SE-R is semi-retired these days.  I had planned to put the old engine
back in it to get it on the road, but now I think I'm going to just leave
it sit until I can refurbish it properly.  The engine is out, the interior
is half torn apart, and rather than put it all together, when I have the
time and money for it, I'll probably remove *everything* from under the
hood and respray the engine bay before putting another engine back in
there.  The interior will get a new headliner and possibly new
carpeting.  The exterior needs a lot of work these days.  So, it's at least
a couple of years off I think.

We'll probably be buying a Durango for a daily driver for Kerry (and
part-time tow beast) and when that happens, the G20 will become my daily
driver.  G20s are easier to replace than the SE-R these days.  I've gotten
to where I'm almost afraid to drive the SE-R regularly anyway.  Ron Chong's
recent ordeal was yet another reminder of that (as well as Wayne thinking
of scrapping his damaged classic).

So, that's the long explanation.  I need to do one or two more articles to
finish the Beast saga, but once it croaked I lost 75% of my interest.  When
I build a new Beast it will likely be a budget version, mostly saving on
headwork costs.  But again, that's down the road.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20 turbo (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>