Spec V, Dynos and Headers

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Sun, 5 May 2002 16:06:13 -0500

Maurice Hilarius wrote:

>When I look at the dyno sheet in the picture at:
>http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21808&highlight=hotshot+header

>I see:
>"SAE corrected horsepower" (Note the term "corrected" Mr. Roffe. That
>means some "adjustments" were made).

That means that corrections were made the ambient atmospheric conditions as
specified by the Society of Automotive Engineers.  If you don't see this on
a dyno sheet, don't believe anything on it.  Mike and others have explained
this several times.  It's the easiest way to cheat on dyno numbers and it's
just one way you can get a POP Charger to make 10 hp to the wheels (but not
the only way).

>I would guess some ECU tuning must have been involved as well, as the
>valve springs won't do much for you if you aren't raising the rpm on the
>rev limiter..

That's not necessarily true.  One weak point for raising performance (not
weak point for failure) is the valve springs.  I would imagine that any
performance cams would likely require the valve springs to be upgraded too
- at least for any cams that would make significant power.

>Let the lay lawyers go to town. Right or wrong, if the dealer won't do it,
>and will not honour the warranty if it IS done, I am pretty sure I would
>be stuck if a problem happened.

Yep.

In The States they cannot invalidate your entire warranty, but they could
invalidate your drivetrain warranty for cams and valve springs.  Don't know
what the law is in Canada.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20  (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>