Spec V, Dynos and Headers

Maurice Hilarius maurice@harddata.com
Sun, 5 May 2002 13:04:32 -0500

Where you said,  "Lee Koloszyc" <nx2kracer@hotmail.com>

>- I think I would like to get the parts from Hotshot, but if they are not
>- willing to provide before and after dyno run numbers

>Uhhhh hotshot did provide dyno numbers. In the pictures of there products
>from the convention the dyno charts were right beside them. As a matter of
>fact there was close up pics of just the dyno charts posted right after the
>convention..

>Lee

Yes, someone pointed that out to me.
What I am looking for are numbers showing the changes with the intake (CAI)
and the headers.
John and others from Hotshot are saying there is a gain of over 20whp.
When I look at the dyno sheet in the picture at:
http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21808&highlight=hotshot+header

I see:
"SAE corrected horsepower" (Note the term "corrected" Mr. Roffe. That means
some "adjustments" were made).

Stock: Max Power: 141.9    Torque: 150.7
W/ Hotshot Header: 151.3 / 160.3  Run 1
W/ Hotshot Header: 15x.x / 160.4  Run 2  "xx" because the sunlight on the
page obscurs the numbers.
I GUESS that this is with headers only?
It shows about a 9.5hp gain.

What I am looking for is a set of tests showing a car with no mods, then
with the intake, then with the headers.
Whether the card makes 125whp or 200whp at the beginning is of little
relevance. What IS important is the percentage gain from the mods.
As somebody rightly pointed out in an earlier posting, one can not simply
add up the gains from mods and assume that the gain will be the total of
the changes.
Also, there were claims made about this setup from Hotshot with intake,
exhaust, valve springs and cams.
I would guess some ECU tuning must have been involved as well, as the valve
springs won't do much for you if you aren't raising the rpm on the rev
limiter..

What makes me a bit puzzled with all of this is that when I asked Hotshot
on Friday about their numbers, and asked for dyno figures they said they
were not able to release them now, as the runs were done for somebody else,
and the tests have his info on them..
They said they should have numbers on their web page "in two weeks".

Yet they are posting this one sheet up on a fence.
Puzzling..

Anyway, I DID have a chat with my local dealer on Friday, and asked them
what they would charge for changing out camshafts and valve springs for me.
They told me they would not do it. Period. They also told me that would
invalidate my warranty.

Let the lay lawyers go to town. Right or wrong, if the dealer won't do it,
and will not honour the warranty if it IS done, I am pretty sure I would be
stuck if a problem happened.
Maybe they could be forced to honour warranty if I were to sue them, but
that is a costly and time consuming exercise, and not one I can see
happening in the real world.

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.               FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice@harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada      http://www.harddata.com/
    T5X 1Y3

Ask me about the UP1500 Alpha - Full systems from $3,500!