Changing the Receiver/Drier - related AC question

Darin Dux ddux@vermeermfg.com
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:05:22 -0500

I usually bag and tape the connections when I remove them, and inspect
the joints closely when I re-install.  I've taken apart and re-assembled
4 systems in the last 2 years, and the most it's cost me at the shop was
$200 for an R12 evacuation and recharge in my Z, and this included a new
high pressure valve that had gone bad previous to my work.  R134a
systems cost me ~$50 to evac. and recharge.

By the book, yes you should drain all the components and flush and clean
them.  Then the exact amount of oil, refrigerant, etc. can be added from
scratch.  Manufacturers do want you to replace the things Joe mentions,
which I agree is probably the best practice.  However, myself and some
other guys I know that rebuild cars do about a dozen cars a year and
have all had luck with just being clean and careful with the systems.
As long as you don't loose a lot of oil or dirty or damage the
connections everything should work just fine.  My $.02

-Darin