Changing the Receiver/Drier - related AC question

Stewart, Joe (COX-Atlanta) Joe.Stewart@cox.com
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:50:59 -0500

>Will I need to do anything else to ths system (e.g. replace seals, etc.)

Yes. This is going to be expensive, you will need to do a lot. Vacuum, clean
are mandatory, along with a new receiver/dryer and filter (also mandatory). If
your condenser has been open for a while it is probably full of junk.
Depending on how long the system has been without oil, I would plan on getting
the O rings replaced as well. More than likely they have hardened and are dry
rotted. On the upside, now would be a good time to switch to R134A.

My advice is to lube up pretty good, and take it to the nearest AC place you
trust, and bend over. AC work is expensive, and mistakes are costly.

-Jay