Emergency brake [was Re: Roll problem]

Jamie Vitale j_vitale@mail.plymouth.edu
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 09:28:49 -0500

The seal in my left rear caliper let go over the winter and I lost all my
fluid pressure, I could not stop by using the pedal unless I pumped it up.
It would build up just enough pressure to almost stop.  However, once most
of the fluid was gone not even the ebrake worked.  Luckily I was in my
driveway at the time.  If the leak is on a different caliper or line the
ebrake will work, but if there is no fluid pressure in the rear caliper even
the ebrake fails.  Don't rely on the ebrake in an emergency!  Of course, a
drum brake can be mechanically locked without fluid pressure.  Rear Calipers
are a sucky link to the ebrake. Then again, drums suck too.