What's the big deal with coilovers?!

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 21:31:31 -0500

Vinson Mok wrote:

>Well, they are just dampers

Not exactly.

Coilovers, by their common definition, is damper/adjustable perch/spring
combination.  By and large, the damper is the key difference between
different coilovers though.  The sleeves, perches, and springs often can be
combined with any of a number of dampers.  Some dampers, such as most Koni
race dampers, come with a threaded body so no sleeve is required.

The big deal with coilovers is an almost unlimited combination of spring
rates and dampers available.  You can often get shortened dampers that will
allow you nearly the same jounce travel in the suspension.  You can select
whatever spring rates you need and adjustable dampers to match.

For instance, I am running 7" Eibach ERS springs on my G20, 275 front, 200
rear.  Others are running 340/250 with 8" fronts.  In my case, I have the
perches at the top of the sleeve and think the springs are coil binding
now.  So, now I can buy 8" or even 9" springs in the same rate.  Get the
idea?  You can also change front to rear balance.  While GC recommends
340/250 for the P10, I elected to start with 340/275 for better balance.  I
want to get the 8" fronts and probably even try 275/225.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20  (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>