Transmission problem, not fifth gear pop out... Something different :)

Adam Koo isd2k@hotmail.com
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 21:58:49 -0500

Dear All,
As you all know, I wanted to sell my G20T but because of transmission
problem, I decided to keep her.

My transmission has been rebuilt around 36k miles in the internal because of
fifth gear problem and difficulties in getting into gears. All these
problems were pulled from the Infiniti records, I did not know about it. And
further more, according to the previous owner the casing was replaced too.

Now flash to the present at 75k miles ( I just replaced the fluid with
Redline 3k miles ago) It definitely not the cause of failure of transmission
mount or bushing. Big THANKS to George Roffe for helping me out to
troubleshoot the problem, he even helped me replace the rod linkage bushing!

The problem is like this: When the transmission is cold, I can shift easily
into all gears. However, once the transmission is up to normal working
temperature, whenever I shifted into fifth, it would get stucked. Each time
I pulled the shifter out, something else seen to get stuck because it would
mess up the shift gates of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears. Most of the times,
I could not even get into any gears.

I am able to get 1st to 4th gears and reverse back is when the transmission
is cold and with engine off where I would push the shifter to fifth again
and to all the gears repeatly. Until the shifter is moving smoothly again.

Does any transmission Guru know what is the cause of it? George and I
discussed and thought it could be the rings or bearings for the fifth, but
it could be anything at this time.

Next question is, would it better off to replace it with a used tranny or
rebuild it?

Thank you all for reading this long email :)

Adam