Starter compatibility

Boonrat Lohwongwatana boonrat@caltech.edu
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 03:19:24 -0600

For the archives:

starter from B14 95 SE-R (Hitachi 23300-2J260) will work on B13.
starter from B15 01 SE-R w/ roller Sr20DE will also work on B13.

Detailed info:

First off, I would like to thank Jeff Belmont for letting me borrowing
his valuable time and tools to work on my B13 starter swap. Thanks Jared
"Helmet" Holstein for donating his 2001-roller-motor's starter to me.

Here are my findings:

1. My 91 Sentra SE-R is equipped with the 63J00 Hitachi starter (yes, the
troublesome one.) And it had starter squeel like we all expected, and it
finally died after 225K miles. I tried to locate a rebuilt Mitsubishi one
(63J10) as Wayne Cox wrote a while ago:

"I found this in the parts-microfiche, prices are from nissanautoparts.com
SE-R	1991-92  23300-63J00  Hitachi   $201
SE-R	1993-	23300-63J01 Hitachi   $177
NX2000	1991-	23300-63J10 Mitsubishi   $147

So it looks as if only the early production Hitachi starter may have been
affected.  The parts listing said the -63J01 was an alternate / revised
part for the -63J00.  <snip>"

Further search in the archives would also reveal that the Mitsubishi one
is a direct replacement for squealing Hitachi unit. Therefore, I
(and probably many other listmembers) have searched desperately for the
Mitsu one. In March 2002, Greg Vogel at Mossy Nissan quoted me similar
prices (about $180 --> great price!) on those Nissan's reman starters
(with SERCA discount) even though it is more than 5 years after Wayne
wrote that email! Another dealer wants $230 w/ SERCA discount.

2. I bought a used starter from 95 SE-R and its part number is 2J260. And
it is a Hitachi unit. The design also includes the hood similar to that of
Mitsubishi unit to support the gear so that the side-to-side movement is
limited. The Hitachi's gear just slides out of the housing and is fully
exposed allowing greater stress on the bearing. This starter should not
give us anymore starter squeel and it fits my 91 Sentra SE-R.

3. My quest did not stop there. I was donated another starter from B15
roller SR20DE with only 1500 miles on. The tranny case is also different
from B13 and B14. I doubt that it would work, but we gave it a try. This
starter looks exactly the same as the one I got from 95 SE-R. It is also
made by Hitachi with another part number. As of now, it is installed on my
91 SE-R. And it works perfectly with no more starter squeel.

Boonie