More Falken Torture

eric_luecke@goodyear.com eric_luecke@goodyear.com
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 17:43:45 -0600

JAMIE WROTE:
Well I've been reading a lot about these, but no one has seemed to mention
how
they handle under wet conditions any input? Seems as though they are back
ordered until the end of April for the 15 inchers. That helps my decision
put some 14s on. Will the 195/60HR14  Azenis fit on a stock classic se-r
rim?
WIll it screw up the gearing or anything like that?  I know I know. It
kills
some of you to see this, but I just want to learn how to autocross before I
buy $1000 worth of tires and rims. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

REPLY:
As far as I gather, these are your options for 14" high-performance
street tires:

185/60-14 Pirelli P7000 (Tirerack $47)
185/60-14 Yokohama AVS Intermediate (Tirerack $60)
195/55-14 Dunlop SP Sport 8000 (Tirerack $74)
195/60-14 Falken Azenis (seen for mentioned for $44)

All of these would work on the OE 14" wheels (OE size is 185/60-14).  All
of these should have decent wet grip without any hydroplaning issues at
reasonable speeds.  Pick whichever one you like the price/looks of and
get after it.

There is no problem autocrossing on 14" wheels/tires.  If you never want
to move up to a larger diameter, of course that is fine.  Improving your
driving will improve your lap times and enjoyment far more than any
modification you make to your car.  Read some instructional books and
watch some instructional videos (search under Bondurant and Skip Barber),
participate in some events, and save up to take at least one drivers
school.  Most of the big name schools are excellent.  But for far less
money you can join a car club and participate in their driving schools
in your own car.  The car club members usually do a pretty good job
explaining things, and you get a lot of practice (driving on real
racetracks!).  These events are nice because you are encouraged to
progress only at your own pace. Good luck.  And most importantly,
have fun!