backfire problems

EEYORE5182@aol.com EEYORE5182@aol.com
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:30:24 -0600

ok, i know that some people have had this problem, but i thought i would
bring it up to see if i can get rid of it.  i checked the archives and i
found stuff on turbo backfire and other stuff, but i dont think i found the
exact problem..

ok, i have a CAI and the rear section of exhaust done and i also have my
timing advanced.  as of this weekend i will have the hotshot header,catco
cat, and courtesy midpipe installed.  the car backfires quite a bit, and, it
might sound ok every once in a while,  but im hoping its not somthing
detrimental.

i have herd before that a cause for backfiring could come from having air
leaks in the exhaust.  my muffler has a small hole under the tip, and i think
the break right before the suspension where the rear section connects is
leaking too.  can that be the problem, or can it be that the car is running
rich?  or that im not getting enough spark?  i just replaced my spark plugs
and i had to get new wires about a month and a half ago.  but, im pretty
positive that it was backfiring before that.  is this something that cleaning
the MAF wires would fix?

Alex
'93 NX2k