Fast & The Furious After Effects?

David Pertuz davidpertuz@mindspring.com
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:41:10 -0600

>That thing was a steaming pile of ignorance. F&F, while stupid, was not even
>about *car* thieves. They stole electronics. Maybe he got it confused with
>"Gone in 60 Seconds" in his desperate attempt at creating a sensational
>"hollywood" link in the story.

I think some of the thinking was sloppy, but not for the above reason. I
don't think the writer was saying that more thieves went out jacking Hondas
because there were car-thief characters in the movie, but rather more
because it raised the profile of cars such as those seen in the movie.

However, the same article contained not only the general premise that more
cars were being stolen because of the movie, but also the attributed
statement (of opinion) that almost all of the increase in thefts could
probably be attributed to "geekers" - people "lending" cars for drug money
and reporting them stolen when they don't get them back. This, of course,
has nothing at all to do with a movie.

>'Sometimes we think they're taking a Camry to steal a Honda,' said Cmdr. Tim
>Lynch of the St. Paul Police Department."
>Someone tell me what he meant by that? Seriously.

Often when thieves go out to look for a particular car they will first
steal something else to go driving around in so that if the police sniff
them out all cars involved are untraceable to the people inside.

david