B14 SE-R Fuel Pump Install

Carl H cfh_ser@yahoo.com
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 11:10:32 -0600

--- Jay Stewart <jay@nx2k.com> wrote:
> >Any high flow fuel pump whether it be a Bosch, VDO,
> >Pierburg, Denso, Mitsubishi, Jecs, Delphi, Visteon,
> >AFCO, Weldon, Walbro or any other has the potential
> to "overwhelm" an
> fpr.

> Agreed, but every moron running 13's thinks they
> need a 255 HP in their
> car.

I agree with you 100%.  I see it everyday.  Many
applictions are much better served by a smaller pump.
I prefer not to call these people morons.  They are
just under-informed.

> >The increased fuel temp is usually caused by an
> >increase in the return of heated fuel to the tank.

> C'mon, we both know the truth here. The design of
> the pumps is
> inefficient. Something to do with the small body and
> the design of the
> armature. This is what makes them cheap, what makes
> them loud, and what
> makes them heat up the fuel so much. A large body
> Denso pump does not
> heat the fuel nearly as much. I've seen before and
> after results.

I'm afraid that we disagree here.  Our pumps are less
expensive in the performance aftermarket because we
actually have an established, efficient, in-house
aftermarket business unit. Bosch, VDO, Denso, Jecs etc
still struggle to understand the performance
aftermarket business. Our high flow pumps are loud
because they are gerotor gear pumps not turbines like
the 50mm Denso pumps.  This is one reason why we can
match the flow of a strong 50mm with a 39mm pump
frame.  Speaking of 50mm pumps, they are becoming very
rare in O.E. applications which may make them more
expensive in the aftermarket.  Your comment about
Walbro armature designs v. the competition is very
vague. Please expand.

> -Jay
> (learning to do little things like testing fuel
> temperature to find out
> which products work best)

I am glad that you are paying attention to the
details. Have you tested the flow of your Denso pump
and the flow of a 255 lph Walbro to compare the flow
of the two?  A true test, not what you were told the
pump flows. I prefer data from a calibrated flow
bench.  Both pumps tested on the same bench. The
possiblity exists that the Walbro out flows the tested
Denso and more hot fuel is being returned to the tank.
50mm pump performance runs from wimpy to strong and
everything in between - I base this comment on a huge
library of compitetor pumps that I have at my disposal
every day. Do you have the model number of the Denso
pump?  It should be on the outlet end of the pump.
Also, were your tests done in the same ambient
conditions with the same baseline in-tank fuel
temperature established before each test was done?  Oh
yes, and what about engine temperature and engine
compartment temparature was that the same for each
test? How many controlled tests were run on each pump?
I am not saying that you are wrong. I just want to see
the data and the test methodology.

Carl H.