Spun Bearing Update

Julian julianh@alchemysemi.com
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 14:40:28 -0600

Well, just thought I'd give ya'll an update
on my spun bearings.

For the past year my Sentra would make this
deep "purr" sound when rpms dropped from
3500 - 2500 (ie slowly shifting gears)
I didn't worry about it till recently when
she occasionally made the more familiar
metallic rattling of a spun bearing.

Pulled her apart and checked the rod bearings.
All 8 showed excess wear but #3 was scored too.
Checked the lower main bearings, the 4 I could
easily reach, and same results.  The crankshaft
looked fine even with 10kmi after the initial
symptoms.

I put in new rod bearings and 4 new lower
main bearings. Since my block stamp grades
weren't decipherable, I just ordered two #0
and two #1 grade main bearings. The reason being
they were loosest and sort of figuring the
relative grade would be one size bigger based on
what I could deduce from some of the block/crank
codes.

So, the operation was a success :-)  No more
purr/rattling and the vibration at idle
was cut down since the rotating parts are
sitting a little tighter now.

Many thanks to the guys on the list and in
the archives.

-Julian
'92 NX turbo & '92 SE-R