Grrr. Homemade motor mounts

Ben Davis bendavis@sr20deforum.com
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 09:53:42 -0600

>I decided to try to remove all the stock rubber from a mount.

> I use one of two methods. Easy: Get a torch, burn rubber, let burn, rubber
> melts out. (Do this outside.) Not so easy: Use impact hammer, drive metal
> mount insert out.

Here is my current homemade motor mount project:

http://www.sr20deforum.com/motormounts1/

I used a reciprocating saw to get all the rubber out. Works very well. I
want to use McMaster-Carr 94 shore urethane to fill up the whole thing, but
I had some 3M Window weld laying around so I decided to try that instead for
the dogbone. No pics of that, but it did not turn out well. With the window
weld it is hard to make a uniform fill with that much material. To fill in
mounts with rubber still in them it's perfect- but to fill in the complete
space of the mount it is difficult. I will dig all the material out of my
dogbone and try the window weld one more time. If that doesn't pan out I
will buy some 94 shore.

Ben Davis
93 NX2000
91 Celica 406k now with 3M Window Weld filled mounts :)