Polished Intake Manifold

Maurice Hilarius maurice@harddata.com
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 11:12:00 -0600

With regards to your message at 09:16 AM 2/4/02,
se-r-request@lists.deskmedia.com. Where you stated:
>Subject: Polished INtake Manifold
>To: se-r@lists.deskmedia.com
>Date: Sun,  3 Feb 2002 01:38:31 -0600

>Hey guys, i am polishing my old intake manifold..i was wondering if i polish
>the holes out as well and make it smoother if it will add a performance
>difference, or if i should take a dremel and open it up a wee bit, ifso how
>much? has anyone done this??
>thanks

Generally porting theory that I have seen supports the idea of the intake
port surfaces being a bit rough, as it supposedly causes some turbulence,
aiding the evaporation of the fuel. More important are steps to ensure that
the intake runner length is close to identical for all cylinders, as this
results in more controlled and even fuel burn.
One of the nicest techniques I have seen for port polishing and flow
enhancement is a technique that forces and abrasive slurry, almost as thick
as clay, through the ports. It polished away the points of highest
resistance, and removes the edges and sharp corners nicely.
Of course that is not a "kitchen table" technique!

On the exhaust side it is supposed to be important to remove any sharp
edges as these become hot spots. It is also important on the exhaust side
to avoid reducing wall material thickness too much as this also makes for
hot spots..

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.               FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice@harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada      http://www.harddata.com/
    T5X 1Y3

Ask me about the UP1500 Alpha - Full systems from $3,500!