Rod bearing confusion

Thomas Reynolds treynolds@gonetrix.com
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 16:16:56 -0600

>This is not the case, however. All 8 bearings have the
>following part # stamped onto them: F-780 STD 12111
>1N500. The 0 at the end tells me it is a grade "0".

Nope that's not true. One might think that. Jay I am in the middle of doing
the same thing on the same engine. I noticed that no matter what grade
bearing, the number stamped on the bearing ALWAYS ends in '0'. This is the
same for the main bearings.

You have to go by the color. It's funny you bring this up because I told
James just 2 weekends ago when we were installing the bearings how it is
awful that Nissan does this. Reason being that on all the bearings but 1 on
his engine, you couldn't tell what color it was stamped, because they were
yellow and brown. Since the engine a had a dark oil tint on all it's
internals, it was impossible to see what it was.

I would replace the rod bearings, no question about it.

Thomas
'97 200SX SE-R
F-Max Stage II Turbo
Albany, GA