91 SE-R now with DET + TMIC data

Rob Cadle robcadle@hotmail.com
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 17:29:33 -0600

Antonio Garcia <antoniog@yahoo.com> wrote:

>when you get on boost, I've seen the temps get as high as 122 F!!!

HAHAHAHA!!  The interheater is a POS!!!

At 6 psi of boost, you are operating at about a 1.5:1 compressor pressure
ratio.  At a 65% compressor efficiency (about right for a choked T-25), that
means that on a 40 degree night, your compressor outlet temperature should
be about 133 degrees F.  So, your interheater is cooling your charge air
down a whole 10 degrees!  Wow!  That's like a 12% heat exchanger
effectiveness!

Actually, 122 degree F intake manifold temp is nothing to worry about.
Running more boost on a hot day, your intake manifold temps will be well
over that even with a good intercooler.  You're loosing power, but you're
not in that 'oh my god the motor is going to blow up' range.  I wouldn't get
really scared unless the intake manifold temp got over about 160 degrees.
Then you'd have a problem.

If it were 85 degrees outside, your intake manifold temperature would be up
in the 175 degree F range!  So, don't worry about it much for now, but make
sure you get don't have the interheater when the summer comes!

Rob