What causes CV joints to go bad?

Joe Stewart jstewart@eCompanyStore.com
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 11:12:04 -0600

>I have had my CV joints replaced twice within a 6 month period.

Which joints specifically? (Inner/outer, drivers side/passenger side)
Exactly how are the joints failing? (Are the needle bearings coming apart?
Are the boots splitting?)
How many miles on the car?
What are the conditions of the motor mounts?

I don't think it's possible for a lowered car to screw up joints. That's
just a mechanic who is trying to get out of the work and the warranty. There
are plenty of other people here with hypercoils, and even springs that are
much lower without problems. Hell, I had intrax for 3 years that lower the
car 2" and I never wore out a single joint. So the problem lies elsewhere,
probable bad mounts, bad product (replacement joints/axles) or bad install.

-Jay