SR20VE

Rob Cadle robcadle@hotmail.com
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 09:34:54 -0600

"Raymond A. Kawski" <sr20de@epix.net> wrote:

>Wrong, wrong and wrong.  The only thing you need is a downpipe.
>You can use the stock DET ECU as many are.  And you can even get away
>with using the stock exhaust, wouldn't recommend it but you can.
>Kits to mount the interheater up frount are available now and I
>don't think cost much at all.  A boost controller is not necessary.

That setup will make about 160 hp at the wheels, max.  The stock
exhaust/interheater deal sucks.  A VE will make more power.  Hell, my car
makes more power (less torque, though).

The VE is a good deal for people who want to stay NA.  I/H/E/ECU/UDP and C3
cams get you 170 whp without passing emissions and with highly compromised
drivability.  This setup will set you back about $2500.  That makes a VE
swap look pretty good.  A VE with an exhaust and an ECU should make the same
power or a little more, with more torque and better drivability.

You can never beat a turbo for hp/$, but if you can get a VE for $1000,
you're getting a good bargain.

Rob