det swap

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 23:37:52 -0600

Farid Gamero wrote:

>I was thinking of puting a DET in my 91 classic but have been reading the
>archives...

An excellent place to start your research.  Good for you!

>...and a lot of people wrote things to make me doubt.

Hmmm.  Well, let's get you some good answers.

>For example, i will need to spend a lot more money than than for just the DET.

Yes.  Plan on spending $1,000-2,000 more.  You'll have to spend $500
minimum just for the JWT ECU.  Add to that bearings and seals and misc here
and there, including a downpipe.  You'll have to run the TMIC.  From there
you can add all sorts of things starting with a FMIC and 3" exhaust.  You
can easily spend more than the car is worth.

>another thing is that i will need to change the manifold and turbo if i
>want to get more power.

Don't forget the injectors, MAF, and probably a couple of things not coming
to mind at the moment.

>is this true?

Yep.

>how much power could i expect out of a stock DET?

They are rated at 205 bhp from the factory for the BB DET.

>How much boost does it run stock?

IIRC, 6psi.

>And if i decide to go thru with it where do i get the DET from?

Search the archives for this one to get a variety of opinions.

Good luck.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20  (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>