WRX

Brent Ellzey brentlz@commspeed.net
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 21:07:50 -0600

George Roffe wrote:
> You should compare it against a boosted SE-R.  I've driven a WRX
> (*wonderful* driver's car, if a bit cosmetically challenged) right after
> driving my G20 and the G20 has more oomph and more response.  Of
> course, my DET is a bit tweaked as well.

Yeah, the bug-eyed looks of the WRX turns off some...definately grown on me.
I don't doubt that a boosted SE-R could take a WRX: potentially much better
power/weight & less driveline losses to the Nissans.

The real treat of the Subie(other than the silly smile on my face every time
I drive it) is having a great group of enthusiasts behind it(check out
http://www.i-club.com/forums )...reminds me a lot of this group of
folks(SE-R nuts, that it ;-).  I researched plenty of new cars(including new
SE-R, RSX, S4, M3) before falling in love with the WRX.  Hard to find
another $25k car that has similar balance of  performance, handling,
aftermarket support, & generally good people around it.  It has faults too:
_very_ thin paint, "weak" trans at 300+hp, rubbery shifter, & "cute" styling
are the only ones that come to mind right now.  Most of these have
aftermarket fixes, but for now mine'll remain relatively stock except for
the addition of some skid plates for those AZ Forest Roads.

Don't get me wrong: my SE-R has treated me great over the past 8 years.
Wouldn't have kept it this long after buying the WRX if it wasn't still fun.
But it is starting to show its age interior wear wise, busted trunk hinge, &
in the squeek & rattle areas. :(  I'm still undecided when/if my classic
will go up for sale...right now I have the luxury of holding onto it, so I
am.

Brent.