Startup Noise

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 03:22:48 -0600

AustinPR69@aol.com wrote:

>The start-up noise could be a number of things. I would have it checked at a
>local shop because it could range from alternator barings, to your timing
>belt barings or your idler barings, or even yours cams. In most cases it's
>just a loose belt but to be on the safe side, have it checked soon.

Y'all need to check the archives.

Squeal at start-up is well known in the SR20 community.  It makes itself
known by a brief, but annoying squeal when starting the car (and it usually
will last for about a second after disengaging the starter.

Clatter at start-up is also well known to the SR20 community.  It's the
hydraulic valve lash adjusters (HVLAs) pumping up.  The length of time it
lasts can vary a bit.  It can last anywhere from a second to several seconds.

The good news is that neither seems to cause any real trouble.  My SE-R has
had starter squeal for about 100k miles.  Clatter seems to come and go
sometimes.  There is some debate about what causes it, but I personally
think oil leaks past seals in the timing chain tensioner, but I have no
proof.  But....  nobody has a better suggestion (that fits all cases where
it either starts or stops).

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20  (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>