Phantom Grip info

mike kojima choaderboy2@yahoo.com
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 15:45:14 -0600

--- "geo3@earthlink.net" <geo3@earthlink.net> wrote:

> >Actualy the torsen type 2 (I belive thats what they
> >are called)diffs are are made specifcaly for FWD...

> Interesting.  So it's not actually limiting slip via
> gear pitch like the
> original Torsen?  Or am I reading this incorrectly?

The type 2 uses a percentage of the thrust load
imposed by the heilarcal gears to cause the gears to
slide sideways and bind on the differential carrier
housing giving more of a stepped curve in the torque
biasing.  The type one uses bind of the gears which
givs a more linear bias.  The type 2 looks like a
quaife so I am thinking that quaife must licence it.

> Now that you mention Neons, I'm 98% sure that was
> the application they were
> talking about on the 944 list.  Ok, this makes sense
> now.

Yes on Neons, it is a design flaw in the differential
itself and they blow up under hard use with or without
the Phantom grip.

Mike