speedvision world challenge

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 11:16:38 -0600

Brady Dohrmann <prelude_2@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I've worked on WC and Motorola Cup cars before and I don't thik any of them
>has *less* than $8K in suspension work.

I'm sure that is true of the front half of the grid and most of the back half.
But, cost is also sometimes very hard to define.  If you have access to
machine tools, is the cost of spherical bearing cartridges the street value,
or the cost of materials, materials plus your own labor, or what?  I think it
is entirely possible for someone to put together a very worthy suspension for
less *if* they have access to a machine shop *and* they can either do the work
themselves or talk someone into doing it for free (such as a friend).

In fact, I'm just starting to research my options for my ITS 944.  I may
produce my own swaybars with pillowblock bearings in place of bushings,
spherical bearing inserts, etc.  It's all dependent upon access to the
machining.:-)

>Not to mention a good WC car in any class is going to run a minimum of
>$50K.

True, but the conversation was price of admission, not price of running a
front-line car.  As you know, the cost of running up front goes up
exponentially it seems.

>Whoever said the driver's suck is smoking crack as well.

I think you are confusing my commentary on the professionalism of the driving
and of the driving of closed wheel cars in general as saying the driver's
suck.  That is not what I was saying or even tried to imply.  I simply am
disgusted with what is considered acceptable at the professional level.  Now I
grant you I'm anything but professional.  Hell, I'm still on my Novice Permit.
But, there is a great deal of outright punting that goes on.  IMHO it
shouldn't be tolerated, but it is.  Can't change that.  The SCCA should
however.

But you're right, some of the drivers are among the best sedan drivers in the
world, including David Leslie who has considerable experience in BTCC.

George Roffe

http://mail2web.com/ .