speedvision world challenge

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 00:59:57 -0600

Jon Pennington wrote:

>Shocking!  Isn't the cage welded, though?  Looking at the March 2001 SCC
>(I read it for the articles, not the pictures, okay?), it would appear
>that your starting chassis strength wouldn't matter much once the cage
>was in.

To a certain extent that is true.  But, you always want as stiff a chassis
as possible.  The B13 is pretty flexible.

>What about using a P instead of a B, though?

The way the rules currently stand, I think a P platform is much better
since they have the same minimum weight and the P has a significantly
better front suspension.

> > Roger Foo's car is for sale for $25,000.

>What a ripoff!  According to same SCC article, it was built for $12k.

Hey, I could build a race car for X amount of dollars, but I sure wouldn't
sell it without getting something for my time and development.  I'm sure
Roger feels the same way.  A well sorted car is worth a bundle.

>I'd rather build my own! ;)

I would as well and am.  But, for most people it doesn't make sense to
build their own if they can buy a really good package ready to race.

>I'm not in school, but I have a family to feed.  Can we work somethin'
>out? ;)

You're not in Texas either. :-)  Besides, all the crew gets is dirty, cold,
wet, free lodging, and free dinner.  Oh, and all the college girls they can
pick up (most of our races are at College Station, home of Texas A&M).

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20  (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>