Wrong kind of gear oil = ?

Steve Foltz stevefoltz@hotmail.com
Thu, 03 Jan 2002 02:55:50

Ok.  I know people (with more transmission knowledge then I) have talked
about the difference between GL4 and GL5.  People have also talked about
Redline and Mobil which I have not used.  I have been using the Motul Gear
300 after reading Mike Kojima discuss it in the SCC issue or maybe one of
his other writings.  I also checked the info on the bottle and it is listed
for both GL4 and GL5.  In the past I was told that if it is rated for GL4
and GL5 then it is OK and not a problem in GL4 only transmission.  To be
sure I e-mailed Motul to confirm and they replied with this
" GL5 is an improvement to GL4, so NO, the corrosive problem is not a major
concern. As development goes on we find better products that are less
hazardous and more efficient.  Gear 300 is fine for a GL4 app.GL5 is an
improvement to GL4, so NO, the corrosive problem is not a major concern. As
development goes on we find better products that are less hazardous and more
efficient.  Gear 300 is fine for a GL4 app. Best regards, DW"
Now I know they make the stuff and are biased but tend to think this makes
sense to some degree.  Is it not logical that a GL4 and GL5 rated product
would be OK and a GL5 only rated product would not.  BTW the Motul solved my
shifting problems and seems to be doing a good job.  If this is a poor
product for my application then I will switch but I don't want to go back to
dino oil for shifting purposes.  Any recomendations.

Steve Foltz
Sentra SE
GC springs, plates and Koni's

Couldn't tell from the picture what I was supposed to see.  Did the person
use GL-5 fluid which is corrosive to >synchros?