Alternator help?

Mark Holden mark@vectorworld.com
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 18:13:14 -0600 (CST)

Well, I went out and picked up a rebuilt alternator
and installed it on Saturday.

Before installing new alternator:

13.0v with the car not running
13.0v slowly dropping with the car running.

Afterwards:

14.8v with the car running.

This seems good.  Obviously the alternator is now
doing something.

Unfortunately what it is not doing is charging the
battery.  The car runs until the battery gets too
low and then dies on me.  A quick jump start will
get me a mile or so, a 10 minute jump will get me
5 or so miles (with the headlights on).

Battery is brand new (2 days) and will take a
charge just fine from a battery charger.  I've
checked the connections at the termionals and
they're good and tight.  I've double checked all
my connections at the alternator.  What else
could it be?

-Mark Holden
'93 Classic, voltage impaired.

Sent via VectorWorld.Com Webmail Interface